- Small Coffee Mug
- Olive oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Spices (thyme, thyme, oregano, basil, sage, or whatever you have in your kitchen)
- Fresh fruit or fruit jelly
- Spoon or piece of bread for tasting
- In a few small coffee mugs, add one tablespoon of both olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- To each mug, add in salt, pepper, and a few spices for a savory dressing. Or add fresh smashed fruit or jam for a sweeter dressing.
- Use a fork to mix everything together really well.
- Using a spoon or bread, dip in the dressing and taste then side by side to find the best one!
- Repeat the process, changing the ingredients, until you've found the best recipe you can!
There is no right answer to the best salad dressing. Taste and flavor is very subjective, so your favorite flavor may not be the same as your parents. As an additional challange, you might want to try to find a dressing that not only you, but everyone in your family likes.
The salad dressing you made here is an emulsion, or mixture of two things that don't like to mix. Oil and vinegar when mixed together don't actually become a new, oily vinegar liquid, but stay as drops of oil suspended in vinegar. Our time, the oil droplets rise to the top and separate from the vinegar, unless you do something to stabilize the emulsion, or keep the oil and vinegar from separating. To find more info about emulsions and stabilizing them, read here: http://sciencefare.org/2011/06/01/tv-poster-emulsion/.